Tuesday, April 10, 2007

I Do Not Love You...

I do not love you as if you were salt-rose,or topaz,
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.

I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.

I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
so I love you because I know no other waythan this:
where "I" does not exist, nor "You",
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.

----Pablo Neruda

8 comments:

the_Skipper said...

ohhh.. thankyou for posting this!! I had read it in college long back- one afternoon in library, while I was supposed to be doing a tute or something. I remembered nothing about the poem but as I read I knew it was the same poem because the line - "I love you as certain dark things are to be loved", had somehow stayed with me.
aww.. makes me wanna go back among the dusty bookshelfs of college library. I think it was my favourite place in the entire college..

Saanjh said...

Much As I am incapable of appreciating this genre of literature-poetry ...the thoughts brought out so beautifully in this piece,are surely the ones i would like to be surrounded by in times when im doubtful about the place 'Love ' occupies in my life.

S said...

chalo ..this means you guys peep into my blog once in a while..coz even I was not attending to my blog that regularly...I saw these lines on the orkut "personal" section of some guy then I googled it..and I really liked it so I posted it on mine..[:)]

S said...

even I like the lines.."I love you as certain dark things ..."
and also the last two lines..the your hand on my chest or something like that..

S said...

and my dear dusky oriya beauty..
you can always turn to these line sin times of doubt and dilemma..
:)

the_Skipper said...

r u online?? because i saw this lovely new layout of your homepage and was gonna tell you how nice it looks, when i refreshed the page and it was back to th old layout - i.e with the sidebar on right hand side. nice library section.

S said...

Thank you..glad that you like the new layout..got the idea from another blog..maybe you saw the old page when you refreshed because i see ur comment was posted at 1.40..if it was in the afternoon then maybe because at that time i was tinkering with my page and nothing was final yet..this layout is there to stay..at least for some days :)

Rahul Khare said...

Mast!!
This is poetry! Senti hai bt mast!
i wrote one of this kind myself... dnt remember if i posted it on my blog.